Directed by : James Wan
Imdb link -> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1457767/


Scary, Very Scary with a good screenplay. 


When I checked the trailer, I had made up my mind that I wont be watching this one. I was mainly scared that there will be gore in the movie which I bloody hate. But, good reviews couldn't stop me from taking a chance and it paid off well as hardly 1-2 scenes had gore.

The story is set in 70's, and the shots do actually give a feeling that the characters are actually in 1970's only. Paranormal investigators helping a family which is terrorized by a spirit in their house, is a story I haven't seen in past. To add to it, the idea of keeping all solutions of their past cases into  their own house, was hell scary for me.

Screenplay is good, they keep the main focus on the family comprising of Roger (Ron Livingston), Carolyn (Lili Taylor) and their daughters. While the other plot revolves around Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine (Vera Farmiga) who play the paranormal investigators. I specially loved Lorraine, the vulnerability she brings into both the plots with her performance, special reference to the first scene when she enters Carolyn's home, or when she goes inside cupboard to check for clues.

Carolyn plays her part very well, a loving mother and then the dealing with spirit, protecting her daughters. Brad (John Brotherton) added good humour in his small supporting role.

The story of Doll was a very good idea, only thing I couldn't understand was how did the Doll get out of the room to harm the small girl when its clearly shown that it was kept locked.  Also, I would had loved if the climax was extended by 5 mins, just to increase the thrill.

The exorcism part was new to me, not seen much of english horror movies but some of reviews I read suggested that its borrowed from past films. Whatever it was, it gave a thrilling edge to the climax.

Another good thing was that they allowed everyone in family get affected by spirit, thereby reducing the cliche chance of one family member getting affected and others believing that person only when the spirit has full control over the person. Thankfully, its not the case here.

Yes, the door opening, the night particular time to bring spirit etc are there.. but you can't get away not keeping them in a horror movie more often than not. What is also admirable that there are scenes where you are taken by a surprise, you expect this coming and something else comes, and sometimes you expect nothing and suddenly hell what did I just saw. There was one moment in movie when I almost jumped out of seat, never happened with me in a horror movie before.

The ending shot of the movie was scary and perfectly done.


The Conjuring is a very well made horror movie that does scare you (atleast it did to me), at the moment I can't rate it among alltime horror movies but maybe after 5-10 yrs when I do it.. it may find a mention in my top horror movies list.