With the way Chennai Express has broken records despite being such a ridiculous bad movie... I thought of writing this post.  My question is - Was it the movie that won, or the non-stop promotions of Shahrukh or it only tells the big bad truth about Indian audience ? Surely its not the 1st one for me...

Just today I saw a post on facebook comparing Chennai Express with Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, and as expected Chennai Express got more votes in it too. Needless to say that the blind fans are the ones who prefer a bad movie over a very good one.


Its not the first time when a over the top senseless movie earned lot of money, many salman films did it in past, specially Bodyguard or Race2. Par afsos tab hota hai jab you see a stupid movie get the no.1 tag and break records. It tells how bad audience taste has become.  I wont be surprised if some shahrukh lovers call Chennai Express as one of their everfav shahrukh movies. Maybe I have to stop associating 'Intelligence' with fans as well as lovers.


The main point is, why do Masala movies earn so much. Even 3 Idiots apart from 'action' had everything in it but if you have good sense of watching movies, you would agree to me that 3 Idiots was miles ahead of Chennai Express in quality (No, I am not aamir fan.. and Yes, I am Shahrukh lover).

The aam janta doesn't like 'no entertainment' movies, 'Shanghai', 'Lootera'  and 'Madras Cafe' are best examples. Shanghai was a total failure at boxoffice, despite being among the top5 films of the year for me. Lootera had small entertainment quotient that definately helped it, but I noticed people having problems with the content in theatre. Madras Cafe has worked very well so far, but why not 100 crs or 200 crs for films like this ?

Does it mean that masala movies have repeativity value ? Or does it mean that there is audience that watches masala movies again and again, but the audience that watches non-masala movies don't like to re-watch it ?  The masala loving audience mainly constitutes either the aam janta or the family audience, while non-masala reduces both of those audiences to a larger extent. Probably there lies the difference why the former films work so much.

Please don't give me the crap that people come to watch movies to free their mind therefore they love masala movies. That's the cliche and idiotic line I have heard from many people.

I don't keep track of Hollywood movies, but would love to know if bad movies earn so much there too ? And are its audience also so stupid like ours to not accept that they liked a bad movie.


If every good film or atleast 70% of them were accepted by the audience, then I would not have felt bad watching Chennai Express reach 200cr. But, its not the case.. here people make bad films earn way too much, and good films end up as flops most of the times.

I don't know if that day would ever come when the cards reverse and people appreciate good films more. If they like bad films that also is welcome, but please prefer good over bad.  Its true that everyone have their own likings but another fact is.. when bad films work so much, the film-makers get excited to make more poor movies because they know that audience is there who would accept it and take it to 100 cr or above.


Today I unfollowed shahrukh for first time on twitter, such is anger towards a super bad film doing so well. Now, I would follow him only when he does a good film...

This post is only for those who didnt' like Chennai Express, the others won't connect to it. and I have no interest to connect to them either.

May Indian audience change for good one day and our films grow creatively ....