Directed by : Rohit Shetty
Imdb link -> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2112124/


Another senseless and stupid movie from Rohit Shetty, Shahrukh overacts.

I am not much of a fan of Rohit's kind of cinema, plus I don't like watching Shahrukh in these no logic over the top masala movies. So, with almost no craze I watched the movie, and it worked in me not feeling disappointed. The movie was ofcourse below average as expected.

As always Rohit's film is full of spoofs and dialogues that make fun of other's film, mainly shahrukh movies and his own movies in this case. The best one is when Rahul (Shahrukh Khan) gives hand to Meenamma (Deepika Padukone) who is running to catch the train ala Simran of DDLJ, and once Rahul helps her .. he says 'Yeh maine pehle bhi kiya hua hai'. Also, the song conversations between both was funny, specially the 1st one, and the nirma (i think yehi tha) one later by Shahrukh.

There are few more such moments that made me laugh. But they couldn't divert the fact that it wasn't a good film.

Crashing of cars is also part of the film, since Rohit Shetty is director. I actually liked that scene where Rahul uses that long knife (dont know what its called) onto the tyre of a moving car, he brought good style into that.

The start to movie is funny with the voiceover of Shahrukh, but after that I had to wait until Shahrukh-Deepika scene for next laugh. This is how films goes, one good laugh followed by a dull period that has over the top filmed scenes. Then, the latter part of movie tries to go romantic which doesn't work either. To worsen it, the climax is a long preaching by Shahrukh. And Rohit is keen to do a full DDLJ tribute even in the climax. Actually for a second I thought I am about to hear the dialogue 'Jaa Meenamma Jaa (ofcourse in tamil dialect)', thankfully they didn't go to that extent.

One thing that was worth applauding was the south background, there were moments when I felt I wasnt watching a hindi movie. Also, no subtitles for scenes that involved tamil without any  translations by actors was right decision.

Music is decent, with Titli and  One Two Three Four my favourites. I loved Priyamani in the latter song, also the choreography with those finger steps and the leg moves was very nice. Even Lungi Dance has some great steps making visuals good to watch.

Shahrukh Khan overacts right from the 1st dialogue in that flashback sequence where he keeps shouting 'Goa is on, Goa is on'.  Or when his voice tone changes feeling scared to see the people associated with Meenamma in train. He does have some good scenes, but as a whole his comedy didn't work. He should take some mature roles now, and avoid such masala films which I know he wont.

Deepika Padukone is impressive, and I particularly loved her accent. But, its not a performance that I would remember in future like it was with Yeh jawaani hai deewani. If it was a good film, maybe it would had changed that for me.

Nikitin Dheer is once again in a small role, but still much better than what he got in Dabangg2. Rest supporting cast did fair work.


Overall, Like his previous films Rohit's Chennai Express also contains some funny scenes, but the product as a whole is very much average. Its hard to completely dislike a Shahrukh Khan movie, I can't recall when it happened last for me.. this one came very close to that.


Verdict : BELOW AVERAGE