A much pending film. Heard a lot of praise for it, and to be frank.. its only the afterthought I had about the film that made me like the film much more, than I actually did while watching it. Sometimes you take time to appreciate what you just saw.

I have no idea about Macbeth. So, it was a total new story for me. One famous gangster of Mumbai i.e Abbaji(Pankaj Kapur) who has lot of name in his area. While Maqbool(Irffan Khan) is one of his loyals. The mistress of Abbaji, Nimi(Tabu) is in awe of Maqbool. Only way Maqbool can get her, is by killing Abbaji. He has to choose either Nimi or loyalty towards Abbaji. He chooses Nimi, but little does he know.. how much badly it will affect him later. 

There are three things that I have noticed a lot in Vishal Bharadwaj films. One is the opening sequence is so artistic always, how we see a mirror on which someone is making some design, which later is found to be 'Pandit' doing all the time in the film. 2ndly, the dark theme he brings out of scenes, sometimes he even goes into using very dark setting, very less visibility. Both the starting sequence and the Abbaji killing sequence are a proof of it. And Lastly, the way he uses Sound in his films. No doubt, the main theme is so great, and wonderfully used at various places. The final sequence to me was spectacular both in terms of visuals and sound. 

I like almost every song in the film. Ru ba ru is my fav both audio and the way its filmed. The song that has Nimi crying, was a bit over-dramatic for me. Liked the way they mix mujra and the engagement dances going on at same time. 

Also, special mention to the cinematography, some shots are very beautifully shot. 

The best moments of the film --- 
• Abbaji with Devasare in police station. Pankaj Kapur is amazing here! 
• The entire Ru-ba-ru song.
• Abbaji dealing with a person who went against him. 
• Almost each scene of the Corrupt cops, Purohit and Pandit.
• Nimmi askin Maqbool to kill Abbaji. 
• Maqbool and Kaka sequence after death of Abbaji
• The feeling of guilt on face of Maqbool, as well as Nimmi for the sin they committed. Infact its so brilliantly showed, Maqbool's 'khoon' scene or the Nimi's washing blood from wall or the bestest scene of film where Maqbool hears some music playing with Abbaji there. 
• The entire climax sequence starting from Maqbool bringing Nimi home and the final gun shot. 


Infact, Saheb Biwi aur Gangster which I saw recently was so much similar to this film. Ofcourse Maqbool is much better than it. 

Performances wise, 

Pankaj Kapur delivers fantastic performance. I was in complete awe watching him in each and every frame. Specially the character traits and mannerisms, so much real. Of all the films I have seen of him, this performance stands out.

Irrfan Khan is a amazing actor, So brilliantly he showcases the fear feeling in starting part of film, to a person who has risen up, and has got power in hands, to a person full of guilt. Specially love the scene, where he is surprised by what Nimi is doing in the final sequence.

Tabu was very good. Though, her character being the central one, was of least interest to me. But without her Maqbool wont stand either. 

Om Puri and Naseeruddin Shah, when these two powerful actors come together, its bound to be special. Both play corrupt cops so efficiently. My fav scene, where Om Puri is explaining what Shani does, and how Naseeruddin Shah queries about it. 

Ajay Gehi and Piyush Mishra stand out in rest of the supporting cast. I wonder why Ajay Gehi hasn't been regular in films. I quite much liked his performance. 


I read one Imdb comment stating that Pankaj Kapur is very under-rated actor, not to get the popularity which Om Puri or Naseerudin Shah have got. I pretty much agree to it, also I feel he is so under-used actor.

Overall, Maqbool has wonderful direction with good screenplay, and powerful performances. It may not be my favourite Vishal Bharadwaj film, which Kaminey and 7 Khoon Maaf are. But it definately goes into the list of good movies done by Vishal. 

'shakti ka santulan bahut zaroori hai sansaar mein, aag ke liye paani ka darr bane rehna chahiye '

Verdict : Very Good