A very quick recap on all the films/series that I missed writing on last year. 

Spoilers ahead...


Mank
Directed by : David Fincher

You cannot capture a man's entire life in two hours. All you can hope is to leave the impression of one.


Showcasing the journey of screenwriter of Citizen Kane, what events took place while he wrote for movie and his equation with the director, producer and lots more. Among all the films I have seen of Fincher, this was the only one that not only never worked but was very boring to sit through. That dining scene was my only interesting takeaway from this film along with lovely performance of Gary Oldman. Might work for Citizen Kane fanatics!

My Rating : 3/10


Nomadland
Directed by : Chloe Zhao

One of the things I love most about this life is that there's no final goodbye. You know, I have met hundreds of people out here and I don't ever say a final goodbye. I always just say, "I will see you down the road." And I do. And whether its a month, or a year, or sometimes years, I see them again.


About life of nomads, focussing mainly on Fern (Frances McDormand) who uses her van to survive after the recession hits her badly. There have been movies in past like Shape of Water, Moonlight that won Oscars when I found them decent at best, and Nomadland adds to the list. The screenplay is just too slow and not engaging enough specially when it involves silent moments of Fern. I did like scenes involving other nomads, some were real nomads too and those did click. Definately not my kind of movie when I see how much praise it got from critics. 

My Rating : 4.5/10 


Tenet 
Directed by : Christopher Nolan

For me, I think this is the end of a beautiful friendship. 
But for me it's just the beginning.


The protagonist is trying to save the world while learning how to tackle time inversion. Like most of his movies Nolan again masterfully confuses you, unsure what is happening, which time zone or which timeline are we actually in right now, with Blue and Red as main timelines used in this movie. But unlike his all previous work, this movie lacks or I would even say is totally emotionless.. which is funny when a character says 'Don't try to understand it. Feel it', which I never felt. Rather the dialogue 'Does your head hurt yet' actually justifies how you feel at end. Even the lovely bonding between Robert Pattinson and John David Washington couldn't save the film. Seems 2020 was a year of firsts, Nolan finally giving a below average movie. No, a second watch won't change this either. 

My Rating : 3.5/10


Da 5 Bloods 
Directed by : Spike Lee

After you have been in a war, you understand it never really ends.


Four African American vets going back to the Vietnam to collect remains of their fallen squad leader and also the gold he had promised to have hidden in there. One of very bizzare movie I have seen, specially the character of Paul (Delroy Lindo) that goes totally mad in the end, I personally felt very irritated watching his actions and basically putting others in danger. Also, disappointed that Chadwick Boseman got very less screentime. Just felt the movie kept changing stances, going one way then other without making any sense and its 2 hr 34 mins long to add to the misery.

My Rating : 2.5/10


Eurovision Song Contest : The Story of Fire Saga
Directed by : David Dobkin

I will just leave the knife here, in case, you have to, do other murders.


Two dreamers, Lars Erickssong (Will Ferrell) and Sigrit (Rachel McAdams), aspiring musicians want to represent their country at the world's biggest song competition. If not for Will Ferrell, it would easily had been a guilty pleasure movie for me, but he just is in every frame and irritates hell out of you. So many unintentional comedy gets ruined due to him. Likeable movie that offers lots of silly comedy situations, love the final track, love the scenes involving Mita (Melissanthi Mahut) and Rachel McAdams is as always lovable. 

My Rating : 4.5/10


The Vast of Night 
Directed by : Andrew Patterson

I think they get inside our heads and make us do destructive things, like drink and over eat. I have seen good people go bad, and smart people go mad. 


A switchboard operator Fay Crocker (Sierra McCormick) and radio DJ Everett Sloan (Jake Horowitz) are up for a very strange night full of events they won't had seen coming in New Mexico, in the late 1950s. Skip the first 5-7 mins and you won't miss much without having to sit through a confusing initial scene to begin film. After that its never ending but fun talks between Fay and Everett slowly leading to the strange audio frequency as they get curious to find out what its all about, and it involves Fay who  already appears to have a personality of someone overcurious or hyped about future inventions. Its a super going until ofcourse the end that just disappoints, some of you might say it works but not for me, it just felt like we were taken all the while to something that never happens. Fun movie nonetheless, or for the way its filmed to keep you engaged till the end. 

My Rating : 6.5/10 


Black Bear
Directed by : Lawrence Michael Levine 

You are uncomfortable with emotion. Anytime something real comes up, you have to make a joke. 


First chapter follows Allison (Aubrey Plaza), an actress turned director/writer who comes to stay at a lakehouse in the woods working on her new script, the house owned by a couple, Gabe (Christopher Abbott) and Blair (Sarah Gadon). Plenty of long conversations eventually leading to Gabe cheating on Blair with an end involving bear. Second chapter involves same three characters but this time Gabe is husband of Allison who is lead actress shooting a film at same lakehouse location while Blair is co-actress and the shooting scene resembles 1st chapter. There's a terrific scene where Allison is drunk and lets out her hatred for Blair (forced by husband unknowingly in name of method acting). I liked both chapters, even though both feel incomplete.. But then its how you decipher the movie or if you are willing to else it may be boring for you, One possibility is that 1st chapter is fiction and 2nd is real, other possibility is that both are fictions or just drafts as Allison tries to get the right story going for her script. At times does get tiring to watch the proceedings in both chapters, but films like these that test your mind even if not fully executed properly are always great to watch. Also, brilliant performances by all 3 leads, especially Aubrey Plaza. 

My Rating : 7/10 


Relic 
Directed by : Natalie Erika James

Maybe its just been waiting till I was weak enough. Alone enough. 


Horror backdrop used to showcase Dementia in a family consisting of grandmother Edna (Robyn Nevin), mother Kay (Emily Mortimer) and daughter Sam (Bella Heathcote). Another thoughtful movie that tests your brain with a brilliant climax, if only the 1st two acts were more engaging and not that slow. Love how they use dementia to create horror around it. 

My Rating : 6/10 


Babyteeth 
Directed by : Shannon Murphy

This is the worst possible parenting I can imagine. 


About Milla (Eliza Scanlen) who is seriously ill and falls in love with a smalltime drug dealer Moses (Toby Wallace) making it tough for her parents to deal with. I liked the film, but it never made the impact most films of this story usually does, partly because the plot of Milla-Moses never fully registers for me. I would had wanted more of pregnant neighbour or the music teacher or even Milla's parents living a dysfunctional family life. But then I get the mood was kept mostly light so that could be a reason to keep everything in small ratio. There are some nice touchy moments and the heartbreaking final scene, good use of music at many places, and wonderful performances. If you can connect with Milla-Moses chemistry, film would work lot better for you, I wasn't really sure I wanted to see someone living final moments of life with a person whom she had just met and doesn't love her back. Or maybe just how love works, you are stubborn to let go specially when you ain't living for long not caring if its silly. I might give it another watch someday with clear mind if it works better. 

My Rating : 5.5/10 


Shirley
Directed by : Josephine Decker

The truth is, nobody really cares if you live or if you die. 


A biopic on the famous horror author Shirley Jackson (played by Elisabeth Moss) that tells story about how Shirley takes inspiration for her next book when her husband Stanley Hyman (Michael Stuhlbarg) invites a young couple Fred Nemser (Logan Lerman) and Rose Nemser (Odessa Young) to stay with them. One of those films that I couldn't like for the uncomfortable vibe it gives, even when the narrative tilts to the insanity it doesn't really work for me. Leaving asides Odessa's performance, I hardly enjoyed anything in here, all the manipulation, dirty drama failed to engage me in and also I didn't care to google if the story told was actually real or mixed with fiction. 

My Rating : 3/10