I watched all nominated Oscar movies except for Avatar : The Way of Water, Tell it Like a Woman and Babylon (also minus the Documentary and Short Film Categories). 

As always an Oscar nominated movie means it has to be seen but it never means that it has to be perfect. This year too, it was a mix-bag. Last year the theme of lighthearted movies was visible throughout, and this time I felt the loss/grief or broken friendship/love was seen in majority. 

Out of all the nominated Oscar movies I watched, my top picks were - Top Gun, Aftersun and Marcel the Shell with Shoes On. I need to have a re-watch of 'Everything Everywhere at Once' and 'The Batman' to decide if they change my top3 or not. 

Here's my Predictions on who will win and who I wish rather wins.

Refer to the nominations list here - https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2023

And the Oscar goes to .. 

Stills from Oscar nominated films


BEST PICTURE 

Will Win : Everything Everywhere All At Once
Should Win : Top Gun : Maverick

I liked 'Everything Everywhere All At Once' so quite happy if it wins. Also, I know there's almost 0.00001% chance for Top Gun : Maverick. While, 'The Banshees of Inisherin', 'Triangle of Sadness' and 'Women Talking' didn't deserve to be nominated. Infact stupid to think that 'Aftersun' missed out on a nomination against these bunch of average movies.


BEST ACTOR IN A LEAD ROLE 

Will Win/Should Win : Austin Butler (Elvis)

Austin Butler was too good playing the role of Elvis Presley and thoroughly deserves the oscar. Brendan Fraser could be a close competitor here. Bill Nighy I feel got nomination because there probably is lack of available options. While Tom Cruise I guess they didn't consider as putting own life at risk doing dangerous stunts isn't yet considered to be part of acting. 


BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE 

Will Win/Should Win : Michelle Yeoh (Everything Everywhere all at Once)

I am never going to forget how much I laughed when Michelle confesses love to Curtis in the movie. It will be a huge disappointment if she doesn't win oscar. Both Cate Blanchett and Andrea Riseborough are strong contenders too, but please it has to be Michelle. 


BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE 

Will Win/Should Win : Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere all at Once)

My question is 'What is Supporting?' Is it much lesser screen time in comparison to the lead, or is it where you play crucial part in the story that helps the lead in achieving something even if its just one scene in entire film ? The former relates to Ke Huy Quan and the latter to Judd Hirsch. I just can't agree that a character that gets 1 scene can be part of supporting role category. Ke Huy Quan should win here, though a part of me would not mind if Barry Keoghan wins. Also, how did Miles Teller not get a nomination!


BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE 

Will Win/Should Win : Angela Bassett (Black Panther : Wakanda Forever)

This has to be the most toughest to pick category. Almost anyone can win here. Though Jamie Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu pose more competition to Angela here. 


BEST DIRECTOR 

Will Win : Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (Everything Everywhere all at Once)

Steven Spielberg only other deserving nominee. And 'Aftersun' got robbed here too. 


BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Will Win : Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio
Should Win : Marcel The Shell with Shoes On 

I enjoyed both, but Marcel was a lot better for me. 'Puss in Boots : The Last Wish' has no chance. 'Turning Red' and 'The Sea Beast' are lucky to get nominations. 


BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM 

Will Win : All Quiet on the Western Front
Should Win : Argentina, 1985

One of the categories where none of the films blew me away. 


BEST MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE) 

Will Win/Should Win : Volker Bertelmann (All Quiet on the Western Front)

I am divided here between 'All Quiet on the Western Front' and 'The Banshees of Inisherin', though frankly none of their score I would listen to in future.


BEST MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

Will Win : Naatu Naatu (RRR)
Should Win : Hold My Hand (Top Gun)

'Applause', 'Lift me Up' and 'This is a Life' all have very good lyrics but none of them I can hear on repeat mode. My fav song from Top Gun was 'I ain't worried' but that I guess doesn't qualify as Original Song. While my fav song from 'RRR' was 'Dosti' track. So, between 'Naatu Naatu' and 'Hold My Hand', I would go with the latter.. 'Naatu Naatu' is really a video song that gets your adrenaline pumping watching the mad dance moves and ofcourse the dance-off that takes place. Audio wise, 'Hold my Hand' is far superior. 


BEST WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

Will Win : All Quiet on the Western Front
Should Win : Top Gun : Maverick

Ofcourse 'Top Gun : Maverick' isn't winning.. and I certainly would prefer 'All Quiet on the Western Front' to win rather than 'Women Talking'. 


BEST WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

Will Win/Should Win : Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert (Everything Everywhere all at Once)

Pretty straightforward here, it's something to make multiverse explored like it should be (something Doctor Strange multiverse of madness couldn't). 


BEST EDITING 

Will Win/Should Win: Paul Rogers (Everything Everywhere all at Once)

It must have been a challenge and also so much fun to edit this movie I feel. Also, I find it funny to see Elvis get a nomination here. 


BEST SOUND 

Will Win/Should Win : Top Gun : Maverick

Finally a category where 'Top Gun : Maverick' is favourite to win. I won't mind if 'Elvis' wins too. 


BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Will Win/Should Win : James Friend (All Quiet on the Western Front)

Looks like there should be no other competition here. To be honest, it was the best thing about the movie for me. 


BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Will Win : Babylon
Should Win : Elvis

Not seen the movie, but the trailer that I saw suggested rich detailed production design. Otherwise, 'Elvis' has my vote. 


BEST COSTUME DESIGN 

Will Win/Should Win : Catherine Martin (Elvis)

This is very straightforward. In 'Black Panther : Wakanda Forever', I liked only the funeral costumes. 


BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING 

Will Win/Should Win : Elvis

A part of me is hoping 'The Batman' wins here. 


BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Will Win/Should Win : Avatar : The Way of Water

Another movie that I haven't seen but the trailer is enough to suggest that it should be frontrunner to get the oscar here.