Directed by : Mohit Suri 

Marna chalega, haarna nahi...

Still from 'Ek Villain Returns'

Spoilers ahead.. 


A famous singer Aarvi Malhotra (Tara Sutaria) gets attacked at her flat and her ex boyfriend Gautam Mehra (Arjun Kapoor) becomes the prime suspect. One of the last people who called Aarvi before the attack was a cab driver Bhairav Purohit (John Abraham), who also has a past story with a salesgirl Rasika Mapuskar (Disha Patani). The plot deals with how these 4 get involved in each others life leading to very nasty situations. 

The movie is full of issues, goofups and silly acts (which I won't even waste my time to talk on). The two positives that I could somehow find were, firstly the music is very good even though it still falls short of the awesomeness 'Ek Villain' album was. My personal fav was 'Shaamat'. And then I loved that final twist, the whole idea of Bhairav falling into the belief that Rasika is the one telling him to do things was a very good one. Its however not original, reminded of Bates Motel a lot. I wish they used this twist at the interval and explored more on it post that, it surely would have made atleast one character more enjoyable i.e Bhairav. I don't know how did he survive that tiger attack but it does give a very nice final scene with special guest appearance of Riteish Deshmukh. 

Both stories of the couples told through 2 flashbacks was neither engaging nor likeable. I am not even sure if this got to do with poor casting or poor writing or combination of both. Just Tara Sutaria looks part of the film to some extent and also I like her voice in the songs she sang herself. Disha is hamming all the while, if not for that final twist you would even question why she behaves like that. I don't think John could had done anything more, too much limited scope with the role he has, while Arjun is lets say not that unbearable that I usually find him. 

Could had easily done away with the character of J.D.Chakravathi who basically does nothing but to inform us the audience the very basics of how serial killers work and he likes to call them 'Villain'. 

Overall, Ek Villain Returns looked like a really bad movie from the trailer so much that I wasn't planning to watch it, so in that regards I feel it was okay enough to sit through, its still a very below average movie. Do watch at your own risk.


My Rating : 4/10