One of rare occasions when I had seen 0 films when the Oscar 2022 nominations were out. And also one of rare times when I ended up watching all films that got nominated (minus the Documentary and Short Film categories).

A quick few lines views on all the films I will be posting in few days time. For now about to tell my predictions on who will win and who I wish rather wins. This time around I am not posting the snubs as I have seen very few non-Oscar nominated movies.

Refer to the nominations list here - https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2022

And the Oscar goes to .. 




BEST PICTURE 

Will Win : The Power of Dog
Should Win : Coda

Some of the films like Nightmare Alley, Don't Look Up and Licorice Pizza surprised me to be even there nominated. The Power of Dog, I found very average too but it looks like front-runner. I will so love 'Coda' to win, or even 'Belfast' would be a pleasant surprise. 


BEST ACTOR IN A LEAD ROLE 

Will Win/Should Win : Will Smith (King Richard)

Although I want Andrew Garfield to win for tick, tick... BOOM!, Will Smith was easily the best of all the nominees by a huge margin. Please, no Benedict!
 

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE 

Will Win : Kristen Stewart (Spencer)
Should Win : Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos)

To be honest this is one category where I didn't enjoy any of the nominated performances to the fullest, infact my personal choice would be Lady Gaga for 'House of Gucci'. Aneways, most likely it will be between Kristen or Olivia. Give it to Nicole or Penelope please!


BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE 

Will Win/Should Win : Troy Kotsur (Coda)

It has to be Troy, though I am little torn wanting Ciaran Hinds (Belfast) to win too. Rest of  the nominees, a huge no!


BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE 

Will Win : Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)
Should Win : Jessie Buckley (The Lost Daughter)

Even though West Side Story didn't work for me, I liked Ariana performance a lot, infact more than the leads. Yet, I would prefer Jessie to win, again it was a case of me liking her act lot more than the lead Olivia. Judi I believe has no chance, that final scene of her's was so good but not enough to get her an oscar. Aunjanue was also very good in King Richard.. Kirsten Dunst I hope doesn't win, her character kind of goes in directions that made me not enjoy her act that initally was pretty good. 


BEST DIRECTOR 

Will Win : Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog)
Should Win : Kenneth Branagh (Belfast) 

I seriously don't understand the hype over 'The Power of the Dog', even its Imdb rating is below 7. Kenneth would be great to see win, or Ryusuke Hamaguchi for 'Drive my Car' I would prefer even if I had some issues with the movie.


BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Will Win : Encanto
Should Win : Flee 

Flee was a very emotional animated documentary, a kind I saw for first time. The other animation films were more of timepass, good fun, but none was terrific enough for me. 


BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM 

Will Win : Drive My Car (Japan)
Should Win : Lunana : A Yak in the Classroom (Bhutan)

I wish Lunana could win, it was such a simple yet heart-touching movie. But almost 100% sure it would be Drive My Car taking Oscar here. 


BEST MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE) 

Will Win/Should Win : Hans Zimmer (Dune)

Its funny when your favourite always wins Oscar for a work you find not their best, for instance Leonardo winning for 'The Revenant'. Similarly, Hans Zimmer in Dune I felt was far from his best, yet he is most likely to win mostly because the other nominees don't really pose any competition. 


BEST MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

Will Win : Dos Oruguitas (Encanto)
Should Win : No Time To Die (No Time To Die)

Usually its a very tough category, this time around far easy because only Dos Oruguitas and No Time To Die stand out.. personally I prefer Billie Eilish very well rendered version of 'No Time To Die', but at the same time I liked spanish track 'Dos Oruguitas' too specially for its tragic love story portrayed in the lyrics.


BEST WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

Will Win : Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Lost Daughter)
Should Win : Sian Heder (Coda)

I won't mind Maggie winning, but the heart wants Coda to take this specially knowing its got very few oscar nominations. 


BEST WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

Will Win/Should Win : Kenneth Branagh (Belfast)

Definately should be winning, 'The Worst Person in the World' has a chance too, any other winning would be a disappointment. 


BEST EDITING 

Will Win : Pamela Martin (King Richard)
Should Win : Myron Kerstein and Andrew Weisblum (Tick, Tick.. Boom!)

Pamela likely winner here, surprise me with Tick Tick Boom that clearly had the best editing! 


BEST SOUND 

Will Win/Should Win : West Side Story

I belong to the section that didn't like Sound Editing and Sound Mixing category getting combined. Aneways, West Side Story is my pick here, though I am kind of leaning towards Dune too. 


BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Will Win/Should Win : Greig Fraser (Dune)

Straightforward pick it was, and I hope for Oscars it is too. There is competition from both 'The Tragedy of Macbeth' and 'West Side Story'. 


BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Will Win/Should Win : Nightmare Alley 

Its the only thing other than the supporting cast performances that I liked about Nightmare Alley. There's a huge possibility that Dune might steal away the Oscar here. No chance for rest nominees.


BEST COSTUME DESIGN 

Will Win : Cruella
Should Win : West Side Story 

The movie based on costumes makes Cruella as top contender, I personally prefer West Side Story which is lot more eye-catching.


BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING 

Will Win : The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Should Win : Dune 

Even Cruella has a chance, but 'The Eyes of Tammy Faye' looks likely the winner. 


BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Will Win/Should Win : Dune

What is 'No Time To Die' and 'Free Guy' even doing here? Spiderman is the only competitor here, but feel Dune should get the Oscar.