Directed by : Ruben Ostlund 

I am so good at being manipulative. I don't know, I do it and I don't even realize that I am doing it.

Harris Dickinson and Charlbi Dean in a still from 'Triangle of Sadness'

Spoilers ahead...


Told in three parts, 1st is 'Carl and Yaya'(Harris Dickinson and Charlbi Dean), about their relationship. 2nd is The Yacht, where they both are invited on a luxury cruise for the super-rich, with The Captain (Woody Harrelson) and 3rd is 'The Island' where the survivors from the yacht assemble to find a way out.

The dark humour works in some scenes like the dining bill argument between Carl and Yaya, or a staff member fired from job because Carl complained about him been bare-chested while at job despite Carl himself been bare-chested. Abigail (Dolly De Leon) counting the food at the island and keeping most to herself because she believes she is no longer a servant rather the captain as she is more resourceful to everyone else.

Rest of the movie just was either too long to sit through or way too pretentious to my liking, the whole political angle through the intercom conversation between the drunk Dimitry (Zlatko Buric) and the Captain while the yacht was a total mess felt very boring to me. And then the seasickness leading to puke and later flooding of floor with it along with sh*t, just was too much gross to watch. Surely there were better ways of showing the ugliness of super rich than by having them enjoying their dining while some are puking all around.

I understand the movie was a take on class divide, the way rich ignore/treat the poor or underline their existence, power corruption, racism, and some political-socio talks. The route taken to show all that despite being a satire/parody never made me feel interested. The Island part where the tables turn in respect to the class level was good, but it kept dragging on un-necessarily without anything valuable happening.

Not much to talk about any actor's performance, I couldn't find a single character to like. Every year, there's always one Oscar nominated film that isn't my type or I dislike it a lot. I think this year it's Triangle of Sadness. 

My Rating : 3/10