Directed by : Andrew Dominik

But where does dreaming end and madness begin? Anyway, isn't all love based on delusion ?

Ana de Armas in a still from 'Blonde'

Spoilers ahead.. 


A biography on the life of American actress Marilyn Monroe/Norma Jeane (Ana de Armas).

I have never seen any of Marilyn movies, and also rarely heard much about her except for the famous skirt flying scene which frankly speaking I never get what is really great about that. So, I won't comment on how much real the story is, and how much its fictionalised. 

Coming to this movie, the reason to watch was my love for Ana de Armas who in her brief period has become one of my favourites and she doesn't disappoint here too. 

The pace of the film never bothered me, I have seen much slower films than this that were dull. What did effect me was how one note the narrative is. Basically its showing just the negative aspects of Norma Jeane life, from her childhood struggles having a mom with mental issues, a neighbour who sends her to an orphanage, forced sex to get work, forced abortion, miscarriage, domestic violence, and always seen as an object of desire when around men. I mean I could hardly find 1-2% of film where Norma was happy or joking around. I understand you want to show the dark side of her life, but why would anyone watch almost 3 hour long movie that shows no respite and also gets very repetitive with the 'daddy issue' angle with those 'Your tearful father' letters. And some scenes are really disturbing to watch.

Where the movie fails badly is how Marilyn got the fame and how she got addicted to drugs, both are poorly covered in a rush. As a reason her dark life, her choices made, or her mood swings or her alter ego (she hates to see herself as Marilyn on screen), these major themes of the film never fully comes across as it should had. The shift between black & white, and color scenes at places was a turn off too. 

Among rest cast, Julianne Nicholson (playing mother of Norma) is really good in the few scenes she got. Xavier Samuel (playing Cass Chaplin) also is likeable, specially that mirror scene. 

Overall, Blonde just never worked for me. The reaction Norma's first husband gives when she narrates a poem to him is how I felt for the film.To be honest, even though I loved Ana de Armas performance, I really don't want her to win Oscar for this role. 

My Rating : 2.5/10