Very much like Hindi movies, saw only 23 English movies in the theatre last year. But made up for that with 21 Old/New movies on lappy (many from Netflix), and 11 Netflix series.

'The Invisible Guest', 'The Shining', 'Jaws' and '27 Days Later' were the movies that I really liked. While in series, I have just no words to express my love for 'Dark' but guess I will find a way to write on it in detail later this year when its 3rd season is out which I am *crossing my fingers* would be spectacular. Then there was '13 Reasons Why' which is a controversial series but I loved it, even the 3rd season despite one of the character been irritating and along with humanzing Bryce character, again detailed writeup later this year when its 4th season is out.

'Hannibal' was fantastic, diving deep into the psychological mindset of how he would work his way out and yet somehow you will root for him. Similar case with 'Joe' in 'You', a stalker series that works very well. 'Mindhunter2' was a disappointment though, many aspects that were left open in 1st season were totally ignored this time. 'Unbelievable' was another great series with the 2 lady detectives at their best helping vulnerable victims. 'Stranger Things' had a great two seasons and a messy 3rd one.

Also, enjoyed watching 'Sex Education', another teen series. Watched the much loved 'Friends' too, and found most of the seasons hilarious, having said that I didn't find it perfect... more on that later in seperate post.


Coming to the top movies now.. it was one of those rare years when many of the Oscar nominated movies made to my top10 list. But the totally neglected 'Avengers : Endgame' was handsdown my fav movie of 2019, infact more than a movie it was like a experience never felt before which only Marvel lovers can understand (sorry Scorsese, I still love your films and The Irishman in there is a proof). What more do you want when a time travel in the plot gives you Tony meeting his dad, Captain Rogers against Captain Rogers (I can do it all day), Natasha sacrificing life, Thor gone out of shape, Avengers assembling and Tony's sweet final video message for his daughter. Just a few of plenty other things that I loved about the movie.

The highly controversial 'Joker' was another of my fav movie, heard people/critics call it either average narration or a climax scene that glorifies violence and I totally disagreed to both of those aspects. Joaquin Phoenix's mindblowing performance, and a very good deep character study of 'Joker' kept me fully engaged.

Parasite makes to no.3 position, thanks to a 2nd watch, and same happened with 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood'. The former tackles the 'rich vs poor class' dynamics in a very well done dark comedy manner by Bong Joon Ho while the latter shows a lovable friendship between a actor and his stunt double, before a major twist by Tarantino on the real manson incident.

Special mention to 'Klaus' which was for me the pick of the animation movies of 2019, simple story yet heartwarming to watch it. And 'Doctor Sleep' which was better than 'The Shining' for me, yes you read it right! Rebecca Ferguson in another delightful performance.

So, Here's my complete list -


Top10 Hollywood Movies of 2019 :

1. Avengers : Endgame
2. Joker
3. Parasite
4. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
5. Doctor Sleep
6. Klaus
7. Jojo Rabbit
8. Marriage Story
9. Richard Jewell
10. The Irishman

Ford v Ferrari, John Wick 3, Toy Story 4, Uncut Gems and The Mule were some of my other liked movies that miss out.


Worst Hollywood Movies of 2019 : 

1. The LightHouse
2. Ad Astra
3. It : Chapter Two

It was really hard to watch  'The LightHouse' for me despite its high Imdb rating and praise critics gave. Ad Astra just kept meandering towards a unconvincing climax while It Chapter Two not only was a major letdown with all the expectations, it was so bad that the 1991 version where I felt adult part was mediocre suddenly feels lot good after having seen this version.

Most Disappointing Movies of 2019 : 

1. Glass
2. Captain Marvel
3. It : Chapter Two

Having enjoyed Unbreakable completely and Split for most parts, had high hopes with Glass and what hurts most is that such a good idea goes waste because of poor execution. While Captain Marvel even though is watchable, in comparison to other Marvel movies falls short of the quality and if I can say doesn't have the repeat value which say Antman or Doctor Strange got.