The Irishman
Directed by : Martin Scorsese
Imdb link -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/

You always charge a guy with a gun! With a knife, you run away. 


An Italian gangster based story that is narrated in flashback from Frank Sheeran's (Robert De Niro) point of view as he looks back at his mob career, his relations with Bufalino family and about his bonding with Jimmy Hoffa (Al Pacino). Frank is driving car going to a wedding with Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci), and time and again their wives take breaks for smoking which is how I felt for alteast 2 hours of the movie, very stretching and long narrative testing you to stay interested. I personally had problems with the deaging aspect too, a technique I feel shouldn't be used again or maybe they have to work harder to make it perfect. Watching Joe Pesci come out of retirement and act this well (expectedly) was ofcourse the best highlight of the movie. Scorcese might test you with the length of movie but his direction is spot on with the usual freeze frames and camera angles used with nice dosage of humurous moments. Maybe a mini 8 episode series would had worked out better than a 3hr30 mins movie. My other problem was the narrator De Niro who felt somewhat if I could say not really into the character. Al Pacino on the other hand despite being hammy at some places was a lot fun to watch especially the scenes where he says he won't say sorry or shows anger for a person arriving 10 mins late for a meeting. The theme music is pretty good but The Irishman isn't the usual 'Oh this is fantastic' Scorsese movie. I am still going with a extra star just for Pesci!
My Rating : 6.5/10


Judy
Directed by : Rupert Goold
Imdb link -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7549996/

I just want what everybody wants. I seem to have a harder time getting it. 


A sort of biopic that mainly focuses on the famous actress-singer Judy Garland's (Renee Zellweger) arrival in London in the winter of 1968 to perform a series of sold out concerts at the 'Talk of the Town' nightclub. I actually prefer biopics that don't do a childhood to their last achievement (good/bad) chronology, rather show us one particular phase of their life in detail. Yet its Renee Zellweger's oscar winning performance the only admirable aspect of the movie. I wanted some more flashbacks of her early life of being a celeb, rather there's just too much of 'drunk and I am so lost and behave badly with people' that it got tiring to sit through. Even her love life shown was pretty boring. I liked some songs but overall Judy is just an average movie.
My Rating : 5/10