Harriet
Directed by : Kasi Lemmons
Imdb link -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4648786/

God don't mean people to own people, Gideon! Our time is near! 



A motivational story about Harriet Tubman (Cynthia Erivo) that tells how she escapes from slavery after been denied freedom and then transforms into one of America's greatest heroes who had courage and was brave enough to freed hundreds of slaves including her parents. Yet another typical Oscar movie that gives insight to some history I didn't know about and a good performance by Cynthia to make it a decent one time watch. Screenplay was touch too slow, and not really gripping enough. I am not sure if that God angle was fictional or a real story, made for some interesting scenes though. Special mention to 'Stand Up' track sung by Cynthia, totally loved it.
My Rating : 5/10


Pain and Glory
Directed by : Pedro Almodovar
Imdb link -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8291806/

The nights that coincide several pains, those nights I believe in God and I pray to him. The days when I only suffer a type of pain I am an atheist. 


The story is based on a film director who reflects on his past remembering the memories as he is at decline of his career in present. I haven't seen a single movie of Pedro Almodovar, that could be a reason why the movie doesn't click for me. The lovely scene between Salvador Mallo (Antonio Banderas) and Federico Delgado (Leonardo Sbaraglia) was my only takeaway from the movie. Its just too slow and fails to bring out the emotions as it very much tries to. Maybe its not my kind of movie with the high ratings it got.
My Rating : 4/10


Ad Astra
Directed by : James Gray
Imdb link -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2935510/

So many times in my life I screwed up. I have talked when I should have listened, I have been harsh when I should have been tender. 


There's been a recent power surge that threatens humanity and it is believed to be coming from planet Neptune. Roy McBride (Brad Pitt) is given a mission to journey from Earth to Moon leading further to Mars and then Neptune. It all eventually links to 30 year old expedition where Roy's Dad, Clifford McBride (Tommy Lee Jones), who was leader of Lima Project had gone to Neptune to find extraterrestial life but never returned back. One of those sci-fi movies where 'leaving brains aside and enjoy' doesn't work either because it just feels too stupid what you are watching. To add to it, all the father-son drama of Roy and Clifford isn't one bit interesting enough. What I did enjoy was the visuals, the kind of fantasy life they showed on Moon, infact I just felt they would had been better to show more of that. Ad Astra is just a dull movie, with an unimpressive storyline and Brad Pitt's performance can't save it either.
My Rating : 3/10