I saw some of best movies in Hollywood last year, but this list would still not be accurate as movies like Lincoln, Hitchcock, Cloud Atlas (it did release but I missed), Zero Dark Thirty haven't released in India yet and I haven't downloaded them to see. Still, a big change from previous years when I would hardly see 5-10 new english movies at the most in a year.

Bourne Legacy and Life of a Pi dissappointed me a lot, even Skyfall wasn't upto the mark.

Here's my Top5 Hollywood movies of 2012 :

1. The Dark Knight Rises 



Saw it 10 times in theatre, was totally mad after it. Special movie. I have to admit that after having seen magic of Joker in The Dark Knight, this movie demanded so much more and how well it surpassed all those expectations. It would still be at no.2 position though in the trilogy but one of the series that I could re-watch without getting bored. Christian Bale was superb once again in the role of Bruce Wayne, you feel bad when he struggles and joy when he succeeds. He had to appear less powerful this time with all the past dissappointments and death of Rachel, but he finds a reason to get into the Gotham and save it from Bane. Tom Hardy as the masked man played that role wonderfully. Anne Hathaway as the Catwoman was gorgeous and great helper to Bruce in the movie. Gary Oldman had lesser role, giving way to Joseph Gordon Levitt who had quite few important scenes of his own like the one where he advices Bruce to return back as Batman. Alfred-Bruce chemistry was still the same, kind of caring person anyone would like to have in their life. Very good cameos by Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Marion Cottilard as well. And then, Hans Zimmer's splendid background score, specially Gotham's Reckoning and The Fire Rises. Christopher Nolan continues to be my no.1 director in Hollywood.
Why didn't you just kill me ? You don't fear death.. You welcome it. Your punishment must be more severe.

2. Django Unchained 




Lucky enough to see the film before writing this post. Interestingly, this is 2nd tarantino film I have watched after Pulp Fiction.. so I have missed a lot in between. But, like Pulp.. this movie had almost everything I expected a Tarantino movie to have, maybe got bit more in terms of all those background soundtracks he used in the movie. The style with which he makes the movies, the camera angles amazes me. Christoph Waltz was spectacular right from his 1st scene to the last, all the improvisations he does at many places, fantastic performance. Jamie Fox gets his share mostly in final 30 mins, till end he plays almost a second fiddle. Leonardo Di Caprio totally surprised me in his evilish act, specially the scene where he and Sameul L Jackson have a private conversation and the follow up to that scene, easily my favourite of the movie. And then all the bloodshed, the slavery, bounty hunting, nigga fights, that terrible dog scene, the final action sequences and lots of sudden actions keeps you engaged. Can't wait to see this movie in theatre (though it would be full of cuts, as adult scenes are way many).
Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But, now you have my attention.


3. Argo


Excellent suspense thriller specially as the story goes on and one aint sure if the survived 6 americans would successfully flee out of Iran. Ben Affleck in a very calm and simple way leads you to the climax, making you as tense as his character is during the airport scene. The 6 americans rehearsal scene is also rightly spoiled so as to further enhance the importance of the next follow up scene. You can feel the nervousness in each of them when they get questioned, they know they could be so near to their death if caught. Also, amidst all the tense finish, there is a very good light side in the movie when the plan initially shapes up with Ben's idea of making a fake movie which leads to Alan Arkin and John Goodman who bring lots of laughs with their one liners, my fav 'Argo fuck yourself'. The acting, writing, direction, pace of movie, editing everything is spot on.  Also special mention to the background score at the final scene of the movie. 
The whole country is watching you... they just don't know it. 

4. Looper


One of best sci-fi films I have seen, based on time-travel. It was slightly tough to understand the movie initially for me as have seen very less films of this genre. I love the scene where Joseph Gordon Levitt (playing Joe) has to wait extra seconds for his next target who is none other than older Joe (played by Bruce Willis). Also, the restaurant sequence between Joesph and Bruce. And the small kid Pierce Gagnon in those anger sequences. The screenplay does get slightly slow when Joseph takes responsibility of saving Pierce from Bruce Willis. The climax is superb, and so is the final dialogue. I liked the way the scenes are shot where Joseph gives a narration to the happenings. Also, the shift between 2044 to the current time and how both world's would change if one particular person is killed. Joseph Gordon Levitt gave one of his best performances, among all the films I have seen him in.
Then I saw it, I saw a mom who would die for her son, a man who would kill for his wife, a boy angry and alone, laid out in front of him the bad path. I saw it and the path was a circle, round and round. So, I changed it. 

5. The Amazing Spiderman


I haven't seen the old series of Spiderman, so this movie was my first step towards the heroic world of Spiderman. I would say most part is taken up establishing the powers Peter Parker (played by Andrew Garfield) possesses, and the mistakes he does with those powers resulting in death of one of his dear ones. What works for me are the special effects, the lizard sequence and how Spiderman saves lots of lives including that of Irrfan Khan who has a small edited out appearance. Emma Stone looks too cute, and performed well too. For me, how good this movie is would be known with the 2nd part. As of now, I would say that I quite enjoyed watching it especially Andrew Garfield and Rhys Ifans performances. Also, the nerdy sequences of Andrew with Emma, or the one where they try to ask each other out, and my favourite where he reveals her about his identity. Also, the advice Uncle Ben gives to Peter. Loved the climax, the struggle Spiderman goes through to defeat lizard, and the help he gets by a certain person on the way. 
I have got to stop him because I created him. That's not your job. Maybe it is...


The films that just missed my Top5 list : Skyfall, The Woman in Black, Men in Black3, Avengers and The Hunger Games.