I made this poll last week, got 7 responses.. and this is how the final outcome was :

Genre based (commercial way) 85%
Masala based (action+drama+romance) 10%
Issue based (commercial) 5%

I expected genre based or masala based, one of them to get more votes.. and that's how it turned out to be. Though, I can't really generalise as 7 votes are too less. So, just gonna write my views on the topic.

My choice would be, 'Issue based (non-commercial)'.. having said that if at all I get a chance, my first would be genre based (non-commercial). In short, I wont prefer commercial cinema.. not one bit.

I agree most of our public goes to watch a film to get relaxed from their routine life. Most of our public wants to eat popcorn, sip drinks, laugh/cry at the cinema and while coming out of the theatre say the two words 'Paisa Vasool'. They want to see films having stories, that's fairy tale or the kind that won't happen in real.. but they wanna see it so that they can live that kind of life for 2-3 hrs in the theatre, for what ? Silly.

Do you really feel 'Films' should be limited to that ? I certainly feel not. Films for me are a medium to show what happens in real life, inspire people not to make same mistakes, and sometimes dark films helps us see ourselves, maybe even realize what and where we went wrong in our life to rectify it.

Its no longer 80's or 90's when films were only a means of entertainment. Times has changed, but the ratio is still in favour of people who prefer commercial cinema to the core. The day its ratio is minimised to say 20 or 30% I would say Indian cinema has finally reached the place it needs to.

The response to Shanghai was one of the best example, its non commercial way of showing reality that people couldn't accept. To add to it, I saw a moron on twitter who is a films writer saying 'Films are meant to be entertaining'. How would the audience improve, if some people present in the industry have such thinking.

I am not against commercial cinema, I see it too and I love it too. Only thing that fucking irritates me is, this cinema shouldn't dominate. I hope in next 10-15 years, the mind-sets change... it has to happen, whether it will.. can't predict.


Yash.